"I can do better than that person!"
Admit it. You have. The following is a list of people who often conjure these thoughts:
1. Retailers (the person who takes forever to ring-up your lone pair of jeans, you can)
2. Retailers (the other person who takes forever to ring-up your lone book, you can)
3. Fast food employees (Seriously, how many buttons must you push to submit an order of a sandwich and fries and why does each button require two pushes? you can)
4. Waiters (why do they disappear when your glass is empty and linger when your glass is full? you can)
5. Professional athletes (you can't, believe me, you can't, just ask Shaq)
6. Teachers (imagine 25-35 faces staring at you, that's 50-70 eyes, waiting for you to say something that keeps them awake, some of you can)
7. Editors (a mountain of manuscripts weighing more than your car, you can't, don't feel bad, neither can I)
8. House Painters (your shoulders and back will throb for days, but you can, you're not creating a mural, it's a house)
9. Doctors (stop lying to yourself, you can't, though there are many bad doctors, there are many good ones.... and the internet, specifically WebMD, is not the answer)
10. Pilots (planes don't fly or land themselves, you can't land it better)
Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein ($8.99 at Costco)
On deck: The Magician's Elephant, by Kate DiCamillo ($9 at Costco)
In the hole: Catching Fire ($10 at Costco)
Running: day off today, ran 3 miles on Sunday & Monday, still eating too much, what can I say, I love food.
Writing: revising middle grade novel (going well, over halfway)
Grading: papers stacked to the ceiling, working on that... always.